Monday, June 2, 2008

Child's Play at the Fountains in Paris


When walking around Rome you are bound to find many fountains. As I have stated in earlier blogs there are many drinking fountains, and fountains for visual pleasure. While in Paris this past weekend there were not as many fountains. There definitely were not any drinking fountains located along the streets. I went to Luxembourg Gardens where I found something interesting that I haven’t seen in Rome yet. The garden was centered on a large pond with a small fountain in the middle. This pond was used to sail small sailboats around by the young French children. As I observed from the side I watched boys and girls from ages as young as 3 and up sail their small sailboats with a large wooden stick used to propel the boats. The children were dressed to the nines and you could tell they were privileged. Although they looked very well- to do the fountain was used for great entertainment for these young children. If I lived in Paris I would take my children there all the time. This garden really took you away from the city, even though you were still in the middle of it. Watching the children laugh and truly have fun with their boats around the pond was a culture shock. This was a form of child’s play I did not see very often in the U.S.

No comments: