Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Botanical Gardens

After everyone in the class researched different places to see in Rome that we have not been yet, there was a long list of places I realized I wanted to check out. One place really hit my eye even more than the place I picked myself. This was the botanical gardens. A couple other girls felt the same way I did and we all planned a trip there. It was about a 30 minute walk from our place in Trastevere, but was a nice walk through a part of the city we had not been yet. When we got there we were surprised in good and bad ways. There were some really beautiful tropical different plants there. The one thing we realized was many of the flowers were not in bloom, or already bloomed and were now dead because it was summer. We did see some beautiful roses, and there were many gigantic green leafy plants everywhere that I have never seen before. One really cool spot was in a greenhouse we stumbled upon. It was a couple rows of almost never ending cacti. All different kinds, they were fuzzy, or prickly, some shaped like flowers, some shaped like snakes. It was very cool to see so many different kinds. I would recommend a visit to this place because it is a nice break from the city and very beautiful even if all of the flowers are not in bloom. It was a good place to get some exercise in as well, with walking up the hills to the top and such. When we did walk up to the top we found a beautiful view of the city over the garden.

No comments: