Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Fountains of Lonon

While in London I took notice to the fountains they had. Just by looking at them many look similar to fountains in Rome and the other cities I have visited. One difference is on a couple there is writing and it’s in English so I can finally understand what they say. Many of the fountains I took pictures of because they were pretty but I didn’t really know if they were important or what their significance was. My favorite fountain was in the middle of Piccadilly Circus. When I got home I did some research and found out its significance. This fountain is the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain. It is a relatively new fountain built in 1893 to commemorate Lord Shaftesbury, a philanthropist known for his support of the poor. The nude statue on top of the fountain depicts the Angel of Christian Charity.

http://www.aviewoncities.com/london/piccadillycircus.htm

No comments: