Thursday, May 29, 2008

Squid....Tasty!


Since Pasta has been my main focus on Italian Dining, I have decided to give you a little taste of the other delicacies here in Italy. While traveling one weekend to Sorrento, I knew the seafood was a must to try. The reason for this is because Sorrento is a city located right on the sea. When we first arrived at our hotel there were about five different restaurants right on the shoreline. The first was a restaurant of all seafood dishes. We found out later this restaurant was one of the most well-known seafood restaurants in Sorrento. What made it look so appetizing was a man brought up a box full of fresh fish they had just caught in the ocean. We walked over and the waiter proceeded to describe the different fish and how they tasted. The first night we were there I had mussels, and they were cooked to perfection with just the right sauce. The next night I ordered a meal titled mixed grilled fish. I’m an adventurous eater so when I saw that I didn’t even think to ask what kind of fish was on it. When I got my meal I was a bit surprised because there was one piece of regular fish you would see in the states and then there was squid, a king prawn, some other type of shell fish, and only what I can guess was the body of the squid. Everyone else had ordered pasta so they all looked at me like I was crazy, but I knew it was going to be good. To my surprise I offered the other’s a bite and they accepted and some even liked it! The moral of the story is try new things especially in a place that is known for something specific, you will be happily surprised.

No comments: