Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Get yourself a new Favorite Meal!


There is one pasta dish that I found here in Rome is one of the favorites. It is called Pasta Carbonara and I have never heard of it at home. I have been seeing it on all the menus when I go out to eat and never order because I am never quite sure what it is. After some research I have found the answer to my questions. Pasta Carbonara is usually spaghetti or fettuccine tossed in a Carbonara sauce with bacon and/or prosciutto or sausage. The Carbonara sauce is made with melted butter, beaten eggs, parsley, the cooked meat, Parmesan cheese and pepper. The cooked pasta is added to this mixture and there you have your Pasta Carbonara. Although, I have not tried it not it sounds delicious and I have the confidence to order this favorite Italian dish and make it one of my own favorites.

1 comment:

Tom Benson said...

Ilana -- DO try spaghetti carbonara -- it is one of the traditional dishes. I hope you'll also try some of the other standards in the local trattorie where the prices are reasonable -- buccatini all' amatriciana; spaghetti caccio e pepe; penne al'arrabiata. If you like clams, try the spaghetti con vongole. The Eyewitness and Rick Steves guides have some good sections on traditional pasta dishes that you might enjoy.